After an almost 2 year contemplation of taking the leap, last month I bit into the Apple. Using the latest edition 13″MacBook Pro for about a week now. This is not intended to be a review, there are better experts out there who will tell you more about it. I am only going to share my initial experience of having moved to the Mac finally.
- The sleek & sexy hold me baby looks make it very attractive and at the same time you are completely on the watch to make sure that the surface is not scratched.
- Trackpad lets you do some rather nifty things like page scrolls, application selection, Zoom in/out with just a combination of 2, 3 & 4 fingers and some pinching. Great fun.
- Back-lit keyboard which means no more typos when typing late into the night. And no more disturbing lamp light for the wife.
- Awesome audio quality is making me pull out the iPod from it’s dock and play it on the MacBook more often.
- A no nonsense set-up is truly a blessing after going thru Window’s multiple set-up screens. The Macbook was online with just one password entry. No IP address, No DNS etc.
- Surprisingly the Mac OS does NOT come with a built in support for some standard Video formats like AVI and MPEGs. You yet need to get the popular Windows utility – VLC for that purpose.
- The Mac OS has a very useful dock which gives you quick access to your set of key applications and documents. But at times gets a bit confusing to know which applications are currently active.
- What I really miss on the MacBook from the Windows Keyboard are these keys – Home/End & Page Up/Page Down.
- Print Screen is not easy either – needs a little app to take care of it.
- The promised battery life was supposed to be 10 hours. But I am not sure under what conditions is this. I’ve got about web browsing on Wifi and music playing and it gives me about 6 hours approximately.
So that’s about it. I am sure knowing Mac’s usability ratings these would be just some minor getting used to features and then there shall be no looking back at the Windows. Looking forward to a higher output on the personal projects with the new MacBook.
4 thoughts on “A week with the MacBook Pro”
Congratulations. Just a few points.
#6. You don’t need VLC. You can just install a small prefPane called Perian at perian.org
#8. You do miss it at first, but you get used to Cmd+Arrow keys.
#9. Print screen is, in fact, very easy. Just hit Cmd+Shift+3 or 4 and it’ll put the file on your Desktop.
Thanks for those points. Helpful.
Congratulations Bro! It was a long time wish!
Get Quick Silver as well. Will jump your productivity.
I also use SuperDuper for backup – with an external hard disk.
All the best!
So, can I go ahead and buy a Mac. Will it make wow moments every time I use ?
Comments are closed.